NEW DAY NEW LESSON » communication, Emotions, Lesson of the Day, Self Esteem » Be Vulnerable

Be Vulnerable

• Buffer
  • Sharebar

No one likes to feel like a fool and no one likes to be hurt. No one likes to be criticized or have their faults pointed out or used against them.

And because we live in a world that is calculated, a world in which we have been taught the value of being strong, we often think things through instead of “feeling” things through.

So time and time again we hide a part of ourselves away and instead of letting someone in, we act strong and invulnerable. We do it again and again, sometimes more and sometimes less.

We put up walls to prevent ourselves from being hurt, to prevent ourselves from being vulnerable, to prevent ourselves from hurt.

We put up walls to keep people out and to hide our insecurities instead of letting people in and letting them see us as we truly are, with all our imperfections.

Sometimes our walls are paper thin and at other times they are as strong as poured concrete.

But they are walls. Walls that keep others out. Walls that prevent us from getting closer to people who could make our lives immeasurably better. Walls that prevent us from getting closer to those we admire, we love and cherish.

They are walls that take so much energy to build, energy that could instead be used to build connections, understanding and closeness.

We’re afraid to be vulnerable because we’re not sure of ourselves so how others react, affects our self esteem and hurts us. We are afraid of being used and of being rejected.

But sometimes, with those we love, the walls get lowered, fall down or at times, knocked down.

And I think that vulnerability should not be reserved for those we love or who are the closest to us.

Because to live life with vulnerability is to lead a life of courage.

Vulnerability is not weakness. Vulnerability lets people get to know the real you, imperfections and all.

And yes, at times, you may get hurt but that’s a small price to play for living a life without walls.

Vulnerability is not weakness. Vulnerability is courage.

So go on, take the risk. Be vulnerable.

What keeps you from being vulnerable?

*And if you want to read my thoughts on why television is ruining our happiness, pop over to World Mom’s Blog.

This post was written as part of yeahwrite week #52. Go on and check out all the great posts there.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Written by

I am me and also lots of other things like a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, a daughter in law, a sister in law, a friend, an oncology nurse, a blogger, a life coach in training, an avid book reader, a chauffeur, a chef, a shopper, a maid and on some days a bit overwhelmed. On this blog I share my journey of striving to see the best in everyone and everything. Strive, because I don't always manage to. Yup, I am human. I would love to have you join me in learning lessons in positivity from life.

Filed under: communication, Emotions, Lesson of the Day, Self Esteem · Tags: , ,

46 Responses to "Be Vulnerable"

1. It is a very scary feeling & can hurt if your vulnerability is mistreated.

1. Susie says:

It is and it can but it is the way to have a courageous life.

2. Naomi says:

I think people realising I am not s strong as i make out to be and I am soft and gooey inside.

3. Susie says:

You are indeed lovely.

4. Ado says:

I just love this quote, vulnerability is courage – I just heard it for the first time last week and it blew me away. Love this.

1. Susie says:

And it is so true isn’t it?

5. MonkeyMomma says:

“Vulnerability lets people get to know the real you, imperfections and all.” Wow, so true!

1. Susie says:

We are all imperfect and sometimes try so hard to hide that for others and at such a high price as well.

6. Fear … experience … loss … sigh. Love your vulnerability is courage quote. I’ll have to meditate on that one!

1. Susie says:

Interesting string of words…fear, experience, loss and sigh. We all experience loss or fear which can lead to fear or loss and those things sometimes blocks us from seeing the bigger picture that we would have a hard time growing without experiencing. Did that make sense?

7. Julia says:

Vulnerability is not weakness, vulnerability is courage. I love this quote. I want to carry this with me, always. Thank you for this lovely post.

Thank you Julia.

8. Tracy says:

I think the ability to let our vulnerability show is something that mostly comes with age. The further along in life I get, the more I”m willing to let people see the real me.

1. Susie says:

I think life comes full circle. We start as babies and young children we are vulnerable and don’t know they shouldn’t be. It is something that we sadly learn with age-to hold back and to hide out thoughts and feelings.

9. yes! I could not agree more. it is courage. it is strength. to speak to your own truth. to allow others to love you as you are… it’s crazy hard, and crazy worth it. great words!

1. Susie says:

It is worth it and it is hard especially when you get hurt because when you do it is often two steps back before you are able to move forward again.

10. This was a great post. Being vulnerable is so scary. But sometimes it is so worth it.

1. Susie says:

Thanks Michelle. I think it usually is worth it, even if you get hurt. It is a question of what lessons you take to heart if you have been hurt.

11. Mayor Gia says:

I agree. Being vulnerable is scary!

1. Susie says:

You have a very unique and lovely way of showing your vulnerability. I love your use of humor in doing that.

12. Kimberly says:

For me, being vulnerable is scary. I’ve been hurt so many times before that I’m afraid of it happening again. However, I’m trying to knock those walls down now.

1. Susie says:

Keep knocking those walls down. You also have to see what repeats itself in the times you have been hurt. Step back or maybe ask a trusted friend (who might be able to see a blind spot).

13. This reminded me of another phrase from Dale Carnegie, How to win friends and influence people, “people like to feel important”.

That phrase summarizes your points at the beginning “No one likes to feel like a fool and no one likes to be hurt. No one likes to be criticized or have their faults pointed out or used against them”

..and with that explains that enemies are gained when you hurt their ego, their personality, themselves. Even worse if it is for self benefit. So, when the opposition is done, when small tasks are praised, when small accomplishments are celebrated not only you win friends, you win wars.

1. Susie says:

That is a lot of true wisdom in one small paragraph. Thanks so much for that.

14. I’m still learning to be vulnerable, especially on my blog, in my writing. The few times I have, I have been rewarded with some amazing support, words of encouragement and love. So yes, thank you for saying it – vulnerability IS courage.

1. Susie says:

I think that it is a great gift to be able to really share your feelings and imperfections in your writing. People also connect because they know it is heartfelt.

15. We expect it of others but it’s often hard to do it ourselves. I agree with Tracy that it gets easier with age

1. Susie says:

It is harder to do than to ask the same of others. I think men and women both have a hard time doing it but for different reasons.

16. Stephanie says:

“Vulnerability is courage”…I’ve never thought of it in that way! Lovely post!

Thanks Stephanie.

17. Christie says:

I could not agree more. When we hold back, we not only keep others from really knowing us, but we also keep ourselves from knowing others. Vulnerability breeds empathy and understanding, which in turn creates a deeper connection. Great post.

So very true Christie.

18. Susan says:

Isn’t it amazing how many walls we build around ourselves? And that’s why blogging (and social media, too) is so great and so frightening – because making ourselves vulnerable to the world at large in something so personal as our writing is terrifying. Wonderful message, thanks!

Thanks Susan.

I have found though that for every frightening moment, there are so many moments that outweigh them. Opening ourselves up exposes us for good and bad but mostly good.

19. TriGirl says:

So true. But early experiences make you build your walls without even realizing you’re doing it. I’m not that courageous yet.

1. Susie says:

I think everything we do as adults we need to be conscious and introspective about.

20. Blogging breaks down those vulnerable walls ;)
    Thanks for sharing this reminder. The best shares are the most vulnerable ones.

1. Susie says:

It really does. So much easier to connect when someone is speaking from the heart.

21. Jade says:

Something to think about, thanks.
    I wonder at what age we start to make this shift. Obviously children are naturally vulnerable little souls.

1. Susie says:

I am not sure but my guess would be early childhood.

22. Delilah says:

I agree! It can be really hard for me to let down those walls sometimes and allow the world to see what’s inside you. What a great post, thank you!

1. Susie says:

Thanks Delilah. It’s hard because it comes with a risk of being hurt.

23. Lucia says:

Susie!
    Wonderful article! I’m both proud and embarrassed to admit this is the very first blog I’ve ever read!! I’m hooked!!
    Lucia

Hi Lucia,

So glad you found your way here. We all have to start blog reading somewhere and yes it’s addictive. Glad you are hooked.

24. Reminds me of “The Gifts of Imperfection.” And what a perfect imperfection that wonderful cracked wall has:-)

1. Susie says:

I’ve never read that. You do recognize that cracked wall from your block don’t you?